Thursday, December 22, 2005

Speaking of Osaka...

posted by Michele Sharik

Osaka is quite different from Tokyo. I think the 2 cities are of comparable size, population wise (and perhaps even land mass), but to me Osaka always feels "smaller" than Tokyo.

It might be the location of the hotels we stay in.

In Tokyo, at the Tokyo Dome Hotel, we can see for miles in every direction - skyscrapers as far as the eye can see and cranes where there is new construction. On a clear day, you can see Mt. Fuji.

In Osaka, the New Ohtani Hotel is right next door to the Osaka Castle (a beautiful building, btw). If you look out the window, you see some of Osaka, but it doesn't seem to stretch all the way to the horizon like Tokyo does.

The people are also different. Both cities are very cosmopolitan - lots of English and people who are used to seeing Westerners - but in Osaka the people are a bit more... agressive, if you will.

In Tokyo, people will almost sheepishly ask you questions or excuse themselves if they happen to bump into you on the subway (you hear "sumimasen" ["excuse me"] a lot).

But case in point about Osaka: Backstage at the concert night before last at the Itami Aiphonic Hall, Nuno was showing me the route to take to get to our positions to play Aka Tonbo. The house was open & the audience were taking their seats. There was a lady walking around backstage near our dressing rooms. She called out in loud voice, "Sumimasen!" and then launched into rapid-fire Japanese.

Nuno, not thinking she was talking to him (because she was speaking so quickly), walked right past her. She caught my arm and repeated herself, pointing at a seating chart. Apparently she was asking me how to find her seat!

I looked at her and said, "Gomen nasai, wakarimasen [I've very sorry; I don't understand]" She then proceeded to speak louder (but not slower) - I think she repeated herself again, but I'm not sure. Of course, I still didn't understand her so I repeated myself and backed away. She turned around and went back down the hallway. (I sure hope she eventually found her seat!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home